A penny for your thoughts

...

Friday, February 20, 2009

"TU school of music, this is Grace, how may I help you?"

I'm working in the music office. A few minutes ago, the phone rang and as I went to pick it up, I hit myself in the eye so hard I had to will myself not to yell obscenities into the phone. I was so surprised at how composed my voice sounded as I said, "TU school of Music, this is Grace, how may I help you?"

This was a good week. Next Wednesday Nathan and I are singing, "La chi darem la mano," together in recital class. Also, we're thinking about doing a recital together next spring. That will be so much fun.

I don't want to graduate from college soon. The prospect of that is scary and weird. Maybe once I get a little closer, I'll be excited, but I want to be in college forever right now. A year from now, I'll be student teaching and staring down the barrel of graduation. The only consolation at this point is that once I graduate I'll be earning money instead of paying to go to school.

I have been honestly enjoying my runs lately. That is something I never thought I would say. Wednesday I ran inside on the treadmill, and I was surprised at how much I like that. Really, I think I just need a change constantly. First, I got tired of running on the inside track, then I got tired of running outside (plus it was too cold), so now I'm switching to inside on a treadmill. I'm sure this will change very soon. I'm just excited that I've stayed with it.

This might be a record for me. I don't mean to make it sound like running/working out is easy for me, or that I don't have to almost physically MAKE myself go some days. In fact, I was telling Emma the other day: Every time I go on a hard run I tell myself, "I'm a total moron, I'm not a runner, and I'm never going to do this again." But I still do it. I'm conquering myself, God is conquering me. And it feels good. I think thats what keeps me going. Beating whatever it is inside of me that says tells me I'll quit.

It takes a certain amount of bravery to set out to do something you really think you can't do. But its the best feeling in the world when you find out you actually can. Yes.

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh, 2 pant sizes. that is amazing.

    i love mountain dew as well... and salty foods. and i'm one of those people that can't just quit cold turkey. people say stop drinking pop and i'm like... no, i cannot.

    but thanks for the advice. on your last post i read it said you had lost zero pounds and i thought, "SEE! it doesn't work!" and that was my justification for not working out. but okay... i'll work out now. i believe you.

    ReplyDelete