A penny for your thoughts

...

Saturday, April 18, 2009

"For every 30 minutes of exercise you do, you add 2 years to your life expectancy." fact or crap?

So today I did the 2009 Tulsa Heart Walk. My mom and sisters did it with me. It was a lot of fun. All along the walk route there were these depressing signs about how many people in a year die from heart disease and stroke. There were at least 4 negative ones about how unhealthy Americans are and then there was one that said, "For every 30 minutes of exercise you do, you add 2 years to your life expectancy." Ok, this just can't be true. I would live to be like 200+ if that were true. That statistic doesn't even make sense because the ratio of time spent to work done is not always comparable. So basically that is ridiculous, but I'm sure that most people probably just read it and thought, "Oh cool, I'm gonna exercise more!" I hope I'm not becoming too cynical. Haha.

So the 5k is 2 weeks from yesterday. The heart walk I did today is exactly the route of the 5k (one of my selfish reasons for doing it) It was sort scary because there are some steep hills. I think I'm going to go run it a couple times this week, maybe with Rachael Getter (Nathan's future sister-in-law) Its nice to run with a buddy.

List Update (items in bold have not been completed)

1. Run a 5k 2. get rollerblades 3. fly a kite 4. go on a picnic 5. get a pet 6. visit my family each week 7. give honest compliments 8. Take a dance class 9. hot air balloon ride (probably not gonna happen) 10. Watch Denis the Menice 11. lose 10-15 lbs. 12. sew a piece of clothing and wear it in public 13. read Bible every day 14. go swimming 15. climb a tree 16. make a difference 17. watch a sunrise 18. record a song with Nathan 20. give selfless gift.

The stories attached to the things I've already done are magical and well-worth every minute. I have loved doing this list. I can't wait to run the 5k. If I can do that, I can finish the whole thing. And the semester's almost over. Summer is going to be absolutely incredible. Need to find a job.

There's just enough light at the end of the tunnel to keep me going. 20 days until summer.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the "for every 30 minutes..." line could be true, if we didn't eat processed foods and pesticides and drink mercury from our tap and so on... kind of like in "bible times." they were pretty old. so every 30 minutes of exercise is evened out with all of the crap we eat/breathe/drink. congrats on your list. that's pretty exciting. i'm running a 5k on monday. i will probably die.

    ReplyDelete