A penny for your thoughts

...

Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow day...snow day...(like from that commercial @ Christmas time)

Nathan and I on our snow day, playing with the Reeds in the snow.

St. Mary's playground, the view from my window at work.

What a lovely snow day we had yesterday. Since I'm a new teacher, even though I had been told how the alert system works for calling off school, I didn't sleep well because I was worried about it. So I woke up to my alarm at 6 AM yesterday morning, cursing the day because I hadn't gotten a call cancelling school. Well I normally don't check facebook first thing in the morning...but I was having a hard time waking up and I thought it might help with getting my juices flowing. Well the first thing I see when I get on facebook is the status of one of my co-workers saying, "SNOW DAY! SNOW DAY! SNOW DAY!" Long story short...I very nearly made my 40 minute commute on a snow day because our school's alert system didn't call me. On days like this I think facebook is very useful.

Alas, we DID have school today - which I am totally ok with. Fridays at St. Mary's are my "easy" days. I do Mass (at the beginning of the week I choose all the Mass music and choose cantors to lead the congregation, then stand up there with them and sing at Friday morning mass) and teach kindergarten in the morning. Then I get the afternoon to plan for the next week - no classes. Its pretty nice, I have to admit it makes looking forward to Fridays even better for me than most. Tonight is the St. Mary's Faculty Appreciation party. Its where all the teachers get to bring their husbands/wives, and in true Catholic form, participate in cocktail hour (with real cocktails) and dinner with an open bar. Gee-miny Christmas. Such a foreign concept to me! But hey, I'll take it. After dinner there is supposed to be dancing and carousing of many kinds. This is my first time to go, but I have heard that last year one of the priests broke his thumb doing the worm, and a teacher threw out her back getting down with her bad self. So I fully expect that this will be a night to remember. Nathan and I are pretty jazzed about it.

Tomorrow night my old highschool friends that I haven't hung out with in ages are getting together for a "reunion" and reenactment of our high school years. We'll probably watch "Win a Date With Tad Hamilton" 2 or 3 times, play board games, eat junk food, and talk about our actual weddings as opposed to dreaming about them like we used to. So much has changed. Out of the 6 of us, 3 of us are married, one divorced, one engaged, and 2 have children. Its been 3 years since we've been able to get everyone together. I've been looking forward to it for 2 weeks. It will be interesting and fun to see how everyone is the same, yet different. And if we'll all be as kindred of spirits as we once thought we were.

If there's one thing I've learned as I've "grown up," its that most things come full circle. The things that are important to you when you're small, become important again when you grow up. The people who were there with you from the start will be there with you when you take your dying breath. And all of the things in between prove to you why those people, and those things mean so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment