A penny for your thoughts

...

Friday, March 18, 2011

Gladness of the heart...

I am currently doing an awesome study with the wonderful Women of FCC Stone Canyon. It is called Contagious Joy. This is an especially sweet morsel that I got from this powerful study today in my quiet time, and below is the entry that I posted on the Women of FCC Stone Canyon facebook wall (where we do most of our discussion, we only meet once a month):

------------------------------

"Chapter 4, #5 (What does Solomon say that God does in our hearts in Ecclesiastes 5:20?) is really great. I happened to read a couple of verses before Ecclesiastes 5:20, specifically verses 18, 19, and 20, and they are just great:


18 This is what I have observed to be good: that it is appropriate for a person to eat, to drink and to find satisfaction in their toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given them—for this is their lot. 19 Moreover, when God gives someone wealth and possessions, and the ability to enjoy them, to accept their lot and be happy in their toil—this is a gift of God. 20 They seldom reflect on the days of their life, because God keeps them occupied with gladness of heart.

To me, this is the meaning of life - this is what the Lord says is good! To find satisfaction in our work, to enjoy the things that God gives to us, and realize that it is not those things that bring us joy, it is God who occupies us with "gladness of the heart." Very often I think I mistake gladness of the heart that is from the love of God, for gladness based on earthly things, like possesions and circumstances. It is good for my heart and for my outlook to be reminded that EVERY good thing comes from Him - and were it not for His love, even the things that bring me momentary pleasure wouldn't be as sweet. Ah, my cup runneth over!

-----------------------------

God is richly and powerfully alive in me, and is becoming even more alive through this study. I believe a large part of this is due to my involvement in FCC Stone Canyon, and especially sharing in ministry with these precious ladies. Pretty pumped for what the future holds for us as a group and for FCC Stone Canyon!

Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment