A penny for your thoughts

...

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Colorado - the first 2 days!

Sometimes I feel like there is too much going on to construct a blog post that will do it all justice. Well...here's to doing my best...

As I'm writing this post I'm sitting in beautiful Green Mountain Falls, Colorado!

Day 1: We spent the day yesterday making the drive from Owasso, Oklahoma to here - right outside Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs in picturesque GMF. It was a lovely drive, with lots of beautiful farmland for scenery and conversation for entertainment. We made the journey with relatively no mishaps. Stopped in Wichita to eat at Brint's Diver - BEST REUBEN I HAVE EVER HAD. Holy canoli. En route we also saw some amazing wildlife. Antelope - yes - indigenous to Colorado. And a FOX with something for lunch in his/her mouth. Pretty neat. So we made it to Colorado - and we couldn't be more excited about our vacation and all the awesome stuff we have planned!

Day 2: We got up this morning and headed for Cheyenne Mountain Zoo! This zoo is literally nestled into the side of a mountain in Colorado Springs. One of the neatest places (not just zoos) I've ever been. There was a skyride (a ski lift) that took us all the way up the side of the mountain and on the way up you could see a ton of the exhibits and animals from the air! So awesome! The zoo itself was so neat - it is famous for it's giraffe feeding exhibit. I'll upload pictures of all of this when we get home. The whole time we've been here (yesterday and today) we've seen deer just roaming around in the middle of the day like they own the place. We stopped at a stop sign on the way back from the zoo and saw a young buck just casually walking along the side of the road...his girlfriend (or possibly chick on the side) was right behind him. Neat! We ate lunch in Woodland Park at a wings place. It was really good. This afternoon we hopped on our bikes and rode down the mountain to explore the town. Nathan wanted to get some trout fishing in. I also got a chance to go for a run and let me tell you the air up here is THIN! GMF is at 7,800 FT elevation. The greatest thing is that there is virtually no humidity and its a lot cooler here - hardly broke a sweat, still struggling for air though! While Nathan finished fishing I finished the book I started reading on the drive up. I LOVE TO READ - I have missed it. I took a long and restful nap, then made dinner for us. We had s'mores too. It was a wonderful day. Can't wait for tomorrow - we're headed to Denver!

P.S. Whilst we were eating our s'mores we heard the unmistakable sound of a BEAR roaring outside the kitchen window!!!! We went to look but never actually saw the bear. Dang. Maybe tomorrow. Colorado is such a fun and exciting place! Love seeing all the wildlife that we normally see/experience back in good ole OK!

I'll try to blog again soon. Thanks for reading - lots of awesome pictures to come!

G

1 comment: